Российский государственный университет имени Иммануэла Канта (Albertina)
The University of Kaliningrad is located in the building of the former German Albertina University. The history of the university took its start in 1544, where duke Albrecht founded the institution. In 1656 the university was named Albertina after the founder.
The present university edifice is a reconstruction of the building erected 1856-1861 in North Italian renaissance style. Prior to this time the university was located on the North Eastern corner of the central island, not far from the Königsberg Cathedral.
In the scientific fields the faculties of natural science are accommodated on the ul. Universitetskaja 2 address. Other faculties are located in other buildings throughout the city.
Of the many students who graduated from Kaliningrad and German Königsberg is the philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) the most famous.
In 1992 a statue of Kant was erected in front of the university, in the small park which used to be the King's Garden/Königsgarten. The statue is a reconstruction of the original one from 1857 which was damaged in 1945.
From 1857 the statue could be seen in front of the House of Philosophers/Haus den Philosophen in the former street of Prinzessinstraße. King's Garden was laid out as a park in 1509. In 1809 king Friedrich Wilhelm III donated the park to the City of Königsberg with the condition always to remain a public park.