Археологические раскопки Замка Кенигсберг (Königsberger Schloß)
Until 1969 the ruin of the former Königsberg Castle was situated in the very centre of Kaliningrad. This year the ruin and thereby the remains of the Germans was blown up and cleared making space for the construction of the new and modern Supreme Soviet building as well as wider roads for the increasing traffic in the city centre.
The first castle on site was built from 1255 but during the centuries it was extended many times, especially in the periods 1584-1594 and 1705-1712. In 1945 before the devastation of the castle the inner yard measured 105x67 metres making it a large city castle.
At that time the North wing facilitated the Supreme Court of the German province og Eastern Prussia. The West wing was the castle chapel and large Moscowit Hall, and to the Southwest the 97 meter tower stood as the highest construction of the city. In the South wing people could visit the Prussian Museum and the City Gallery, while the East wing was a façade and entrance towards the Castle Square.
Today excavations take place to reveal preserved sub terrain parts of the castle. A decision to reconstruct the castle has been made, however there is no time for its planned inauguration.
ADDRESS BEFORE 1946
Bus and tram stop: Coming soon