Кафедральный собор Кёнигсберга (Königsberger Dom)
The Königsberg Cathedral was built in Gothic style in the 14th century. A central site on the Kneiphof Island was chosen for the prestigious construction which would one of Germany’s large cathedrals. During history the building was the official coronation church of the Prussian kings.
During World War II the Königsberg Cathedral was almost completely destroyed, only parts of the outer walls were remaining when the battle for Königsberg was over.
Since the 1990’s an ongoing reconstruction work has taken place. From the outside the cathedral looks like its former self now with roofs and a tower clock that was inserted in 1995. An interesting museum in the church tells about the history of the building as well as the life and constructions on Kneiphof Island which was the heart of former German Königsberg.
The whole of Kneiphof Island (today named Kant Island/Остров Канта) was until the battles of World War II a busy city centre with narrow streets and old houses. The Königsberg Cathedral is now the only building on the island and it can be hard to imagine the hectic life 100 years ago. The island is now a nice park surrounded by the two runs of Pregolya River. In the park there is a statue of duke Albrecht. It was erected 1891, disappeared 1945 to be reproduced and revealed again in 2005.
Walk around the island to the Northeastern part of the church where the grave of philosopher Immanuel Kant is. By the grave there is a commemoration of the university of Königsberg which opened close to this location in 1544.